Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Elasticity matrix,voigt notation of PDMS

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am currently working on bio-compatible material based sensor, where i want to use PDMS (Polydimethylsiloxane) as a membrane.But I can not get Elasticity matrix,voigt notation(mechanical properties) of PDMS for simulation.

Do any of you know the Elasticity matrix,voigt notation of PDMS?

2 Replies Last Post 10 mai 2013, 03:16 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 mai 2013, 10:02 UTC−4

Hi,

I am currently working on bio-compatible material based sensor, where i want to use PDMS (Polydimethylsiloxane) as a membrane.But I can not get Elasticity matrix,voigt notation(mechanical properties) of PDMS for simulation.

Do any of you know the Elasticity matrix,voigt notation of PDMS?

PDMS can have a large range of properties depending on the monomer to hardener ratio. Also, I am not aware that PDMS would have to be modeled anisotropically, you can try isotropic settings and avoid directly having to input into the C-tensor. For what it is worth, I commonly use these values for bulk PDMS. p-wave speed = 1020 m/s, shear wave speed = 25 m/s and density = 1040 kg/m^3.

Adding in damping is a whole other issue, and important one. Also, depending on how thin your membrane is ... this might not be right, if scale dependent issues arise. Also also, I've only described a linear approximation, PDMS is hyperelastic and often is modeled that way. Modeling these soft elastomers can be tricky. So basically, I can't help very much.

~Chris
[QUOTE] Hi, I am currently working on bio-compatible material based sensor, where i want to use PDMS (Polydimethylsiloxane) as a membrane.But I can not get Elasticity matrix,voigt notation(mechanical properties) of PDMS for simulation. Do any of you know the Elasticity matrix,voigt notation of PDMS? [/QUOTE] PDMS can have a large range of properties depending on the monomer to hardener ratio. Also, I am not aware that PDMS would have to be modeled anisotropically, you can try isotropic settings and avoid directly having to input into the C-tensor. For what it is worth, I commonly use these values for bulk PDMS. p-wave speed = 1020 m/s, shear wave speed = 25 m/s and density = 1040 kg/m^3. Adding in damping is a whole other issue, and important one. Also, depending on how thin your membrane is ... this might not be right, if scale dependent issues arise. Also also, I've only described a linear approximation, PDMS is hyperelastic and often is modeled that way. Modeling these soft elastomers can be tricky. So basically, I can't help very much. ~Chris

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 mai 2013, 03:16 UTC−4
Thank you for your suggestion.
Thank you for your suggestion.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.