Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cylinder section modelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all

I wish to model structural mechanics in a section of a cylinder-like geometry consisting of longitudinal bars and radial rigid hoops supporting the bars. The full cylinder is too memory intensive to model an so I have drawn a section of the cylinder only. My question is: what contraints should be used on the end of the hoop sections to simulate the fact that they form a closed loop. I have tried a number of fixed constriants and prescribed displacement conditions but they do not result in reasonable solutions.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot

Dan

2 Replies Last Post 8 mai 2013, 22:36 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 mai 2013, 00:47 UTC−4
Hi

do you have 2D-axi symmetry ? so you could use a simple section and 2D-axi ?

or have you tried to consider beam and/or truss elements, perhaps with shells ? that highly simplifies the geometry and meshing incl DoF's

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi do you have 2D-axi symmetry ? so you could use a simple section and 2D-axi ? or have you tried to consider beam and/or truss elements, perhaps with shells ? that highly simplifies the geometry and meshing incl DoF's -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mai 2013, 22:36 UTC−4
Hi Ivar

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I don't have 2D axi symmetry but the beam/truss/shells approach seems like an excellent idea. I will run with that.

Thanks again

Dan
Hi Ivar Thanks so much for your suggestions. I don't have 2D axi symmetry but the beam/truss/shells approach seems like an excellent idea. I will run with that. Thanks again Dan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.