Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

initial Values of Variables Solved For

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have someting to know.

As you know, the initial condition set is as follows:

Method: initial expression, Solution
Solution: Zero, Solver1, Solver2

in magnetic problem solving,
I made study1 for low frequency, and study2 for high frequency for the better convergence.
So I'd like to solve at first study1 and after that study2 by using initial condition from study1.
How do I set the initial values?

in study2
Method:Solution
Solution: Solver1

is it right?

What's the difference between initial expression and Solution in Method set?
and when can i use Zero for Solution?

In addition, I changed Solution to Solver2(from Solver1), and I got the very diffenrent calculation result.
Could you explain the reason?

Thank you in advance.

2 Replies Last Post 7 mai 2014, 12:35 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 avr. 2013, 15:50 UTC−4
Hi

I would say read carefully through the dynamic help on:

"Specifying Values of Dependent Variables"

And you should get the responses

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say read carefully through the dynamic help on: "Specifying Values of Dependent Variables" And you should get the responses -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mai 2014, 12:35 UTC−4

Hi

I would say read carefully through the dynamic help on:

"Specifying Values of Dependent Variables"

And you should get the responses

--
Good luck
Ivar

Dear Ivar,

I could not find the "dynamic help" that you are addressing!!! Where is it? :) I searched through all comsol documents but I could not find even one example in that they have used this option. :(

I would appreciate it if you could answer this question of mine.

I am obtaining neff of a waveguide at different frequencies say 10 or 20 frequencies (dispersion graph) . I need to pass one neff from one iteration to the next as an initial value. I obtain results and they seem correct but I am not sure of my implementation.

In Mode Analysis node, I check "initial values of variables solved for", then
method: solution
study: zero solution

then I use parametric sweep.

Is my implementation correct? If not, what should I do?

Thank you,
Roya

[QUOTE] Hi I would say read carefully through the dynamic help on: "Specifying Values of Dependent Variables" And you should get the responses -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Dear Ivar, I could not find the "dynamic help" that you are addressing!!! Where is it? :) I searched through all comsol documents but I could not find even one example in that they have used this option. :( I would appreciate it if you could answer this question of mine. I am obtaining neff of a waveguide at different frequencies say 10 or 20 frequencies (dispersion graph) . I need to pass one neff from one iteration to the next as an initial value. I obtain results and they seem correct but I am not sure of my implementation. In Mode Analysis node, I check "initial values of variables solved for", then method: solution study: zero solution then I use parametric sweep. Is my implementation correct? If not, what should I do? Thank you, Roya

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.