Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rigid connector equivalent in 4.2a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good day i am using version 4.2a but the tutorial i am using is for 4.3 and it says to find a rigid connector in solid mechanics. I need to apply a torque to a fillet bar,what is the equivalent function?.

4 Replies Last Post 21 mars 2013, 16:38 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 mars 2013, 18:53 UTC−4
Hi,

The Rigid connector is available also in version 4.2a, as long as you have the Structural Mechanics module.

Without a Rigid connector you will have to apply a distributed Boundary load which corresponds to the analytical solution for the stress in a twisted bar. This could look something like

fy = -tau_max*Z/R
fz = tau_max*Y/R

where R is the radius, and tau_max is the shear stress at R.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, The Rigid connector is available also in version 4.2a, as long as you have the Structural Mechanics module. Without a Rigid connector you will have to apply a distributed Boundary load which corresponds to the analytical solution for the stress in a twisted bar. This could look something like fy = -tau_max*Z/R fz = tau_max*Y/R where R is the radius, and tau_max is the shear stress at R. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 mars 2013, 14:19 UTC−4
Thanks for your reply,but under the structural mechanics module i have only the solid mechanics. When i add that physics and create the model there is no rigid connector When i right click on solid mechanics in the model builder window the options i get are shown in the attached file,no rigid connector! how else can i apply a torque in the version i have?
Thanks for your help.
Thanks for your reply,but under the structural mechanics module i have only the solid mechanics. When i add that physics and create the model there is no rigid connector When i right click on solid mechanics in the model builder window the options i get are shown in the attached file,no rigid connector! how else can i apply a torque in the version i have? Thanks for your help.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 mars 2013, 15:58 UTC−4
It looks like you have access only to those capabilities for structural mechanics that come from the core COMSOL Multiphysics, not the Structural Mechanics Module. To determine that for sure, you need to check the Options>Licenses menu (NOT the Model Wizard).
Jeff
It looks like you have access only to those capabilities for structural mechanics that come from the core COMSOL Multiphysics, not the Structural Mechanics Module. To determine that for sure, you need to check the Options>Licenses menu (NOT the Model Wizard). Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 mars 2013, 16:38 UTC−4
yes it seems that is the limitation,i only have the matlab live link and the heat transfer module.
Thanks
yes it seems that is the limitation,i only have the matlab live link and the heat transfer module. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.