Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Adapting transport of diluted species interface using mathematical PDE

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!

I'm trying to adapt the transport of diluted species interface using custom PDE:s in order to open up for further modification later on. I have been trying to copy the functionality of the interface using coefficient form PDE or the specialized classical Convection-Diffusion equation. The purpose is to model the concentration of a dilute species in a laminar flow of a carrier gas. No electric field.

Using the PDE interfaces to implement Fick’s second law proved no problem, but the diluted species transport interface also uses Fick's first law, it seems. I wasn't able to implement it with any of the PDE interfaces (I don't know how to use weak form equations). The interface gives almost no indication to which part it plays a role. Why isn’t it a part of the classical Convection-Diffusion equation if it is needed? It doesn’t seem to work without it. Is it only important for boundary conditions?

Another thing I haven’t been able to implement is the outflow boundary condition of the diluted species transport. The diluted species should disappear with the carrier fluid. If I try to implement it with the flux/source boundary condition in the Convection-Diffusion interface with the flux set to zero, it is identical to the outflow condition, apart from a minus sign. But it turns out this is the same as the zero flux condition. The question is, how do I implement an outflow boundary condition in the Convection-Diffusion equation?

Thanks!

0 Replies Last Post 20 févr. 2013, 02:46 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Simon Tågerud

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.