Modeling magnetron antenna connected to rectangular waveguide.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello.

I'm trying to simulate microwave furnace with microwave heating and heat transfer in solids interfaces.

My geometry model is consists of rectangular waveguide connected to 2.45Ghz 3kW magnetron and furnace.

Antenna of magnetron is connected to circular hole in magnetron just like pictures below I posted.

I am confused of setting port boundary condition.

EM wave just came out from magnetron has no specific propagation mode but I have to set propagation mode.

Should i add RF interface?

How should I model 2.45Ghz microwave with no propagation mode passing through rectangular waveguide?

I would appreciate any advice.

1 Reply Last Post 27 sept. 2024, 10:02 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 hours ago 27 sept. 2024, 10:02 UTC−4
Updated: 2 hours ago 27 sept. 2024, 10:09 UTC−4

A magnetron as you showed, used in its customary manner, will drive a TE10 rectangular mode in the rectangular waveguide. You only have to set the waveguide mode explicitly if you are launching or receiving the RF at a waveguide port. If you are using the post of the magnetron to excite the waveguide mode and are specifying that (e.g., in terms of a coaxial port), then you don't need to tell (and shouldn't try to tell) the waveguide what mode(s) to compute, but you do need to get your geometry correct. (Your magnetron is driving the waveguide via, in effect, a localized coaxial-to-waveguide adapter.) At the other end of the waveguide, you presumably have either a waveguide termination (typically, a waveguide port) or perhaps you wish to include your microwave "furnace" and some kind of load inside that (e.g., a potato). If the former, then simply terminate the waveguide (at the other end from the magnetron), use a waveguide-type port at that terminating end, set the mode there to TE10, and set the excitation of that port to "off." If the latter, you need to include the "furnace" in your geometry and the load in it (potato?) in your model. If you want more specific advice, I suggest you post your .mph file to the forum.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
A magnetron as you showed, used in its customary manner, will drive a TE10 rectangular mode in the rectangular waveguide. You only have to set the waveguide mode explicitly if you are launching or receiving the RF at a waveguide port. If you are using the post of the magnetron to excite the waveguide mode and are specifying that (e.g., in terms of a coaxial port), then you don't need to tell (and shouldn't try to tell) the waveguide what mode(s) to compute, but you do need to get your geometry correct. (Your magnetron is driving the waveguide via, in effect, a localized coaxial-to-waveguide adapter.) At the other end of the waveguide, you presumably have either a waveguide termination (typically, a waveguide port) or perhaps you wish to include your microwave "furnace" and some kind of load inside that (e.g., a potato). If the former, then simply terminate the waveguide (at the other end from the magnetron), use a waveguide-type port at that terminating end, set the mode there to TE10, and set the excitation of that port to "off." If the latter, you need to include the "furnace" in your geometry and the load in it (potato?) in your model. If you want more specific advice, I suggest you post your .mph file to the forum.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.