Surface generation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Probably a rookie question, but what is the command to generate a surface from a list of segments and arcs? In 2D axi-symmetric, is it possible to include the axis of rotation to obtain a closed surface? Thank you

4 Replies Last Post 24 sept. 2024, 01:52 UTC−4
Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 week ago 19 sept. 2024, 03:24 UTC−4

It would not be a 2D-axisymmetric problem, if you revolve it into a surface in 3D space. But you can make a 3D component, draw your 2D geometry on a work plane, and then revolve that.

If it is only for post-processing, you can extrude/revolve a 2D-axi solution into a surface plot.

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
It would not be a 2D-axisymmetric problem, if you revolve it into a surface in 3D space. But you can make a 3D component, draw your 2D geometry on a work plane, and then revolve that. If it is only for post-processing, you can extrude/revolve a 2D-axi solution into a surface plot.

Posted: 1 week ago 19 sept. 2024, 12:57 UTC−4

Thank you for the reply, but the first question really was if in 2D I can build a surface starting from a the list of its sides.

Thank you for the reply, but the first question really was if in 2D I can build a surface starting from a the list of its sides.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 days ago 23 sept. 2024, 09:59 UTC−4

Have you considered applying a conversion operation? I'm not sure if this is the same thing as what you are talking about, but if you have a set of connected line segments, arcs, etc., in 2D, then in the Model Builder, right-click on Geometry, then click on Conversions, then Convert to Solid. Select your objects (the segments and arcs) and build.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Have you considered applying a conversion operation? I'm not sure if this is the same thing as what you are talking about, but if you have a set of connected line segments, arcs, etc., in 2D, then in the Model Builder, right-click on *Geometry*, then click on *Conversions*, then *Convert to Solid*. Select your objects (the segments and arcs) and build.

Posted: 3 days ago 24 sept. 2024, 01:52 UTC−4

Ok, I was not clear on the solid part. It took a few attempts but I think it worked. Thank you.

Ok, I was not clear on the solid part. It took a few attempts but I think it worked. Thank you.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.