Time -dependent distributed load on cantilever beam.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I'm trying to re-modeling a time-dependent load cantilever beam as shown in fig.1. The result obtained from Scaled Boundary Finite Element is shown as fig.2.

I did defined the interpolation function as shown in fig.3 and 4. It looks identical with the original function. Then, I assigned Output times for time dependent study as shown in fig. 5. I've got the displacement vs. time as shown in fig. 6 but it didn't even closed to fig.2 at all.

My noticed, during time = 0.02-0.03, time variation is equal to -1, meaning load is acting downward so the displacement should be negative values. My displacement are all in positive values which I thought it wasn't make sense at all.

Please help and I really appreciate it.

Best regards, KM.

1 Reply Last Post 15 juil. 2024, 06:34 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 hours ago 15 juil. 2024, 06:34 UTC−4

In fig. 6, you are plotting the magnitude of the displacement, which is a quantity that by defintion is positive. It is the vector norm if the displacement. If you want signed results, you need to look at an individual displacement component.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
In fig. 6, you are plotting the magnitude of the displacement, which is a quantity that by defintion is positive. It is the vector norm if the displacement. If you want signed results, you need to look at an individual displacement component.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.