Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Show which computer is using a license

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

We have a network license for COMSOL 4.3a. This is a fairly large laboratory setting.

People here have a bad habit of leaving COMSOL open on their workstations when they go home for the day, locking up all the licenses.

See attached screenshot, for example. I can't use the AC/DC module even at 7:15 pm, when I know that all the engineers have gone home.

How can I figure out WHO is using the license? (As in, the name of their computer on the network.) So I can go close COMSOL on their workstation :)

6 Replies Last Post 14 oct. 2013, 06:44 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 déc. 2012, 01:31 UTC−5
This should help: www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1142/
This should help: http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1142/

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 déc. 2012, 01:31 UTC−5
Hi

We are not so lucky to have COMSOL network licence, but for our other licences, using lgmr tools or the log file of the network licence PC you can normally pinpoint the users, but each software wendor seems to have its own way to handle this, check the FlxLM user manual

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi We are not so lucky to have COMSOL network licence, but for our other licences, using lgmr tools or the log file of the network licence PC you can normally pinpoint the users, but each software wendor seems to have its own way to handle this, check the FlxLM user manual -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 déc. 2012, 08:00 UTC−5
Hi Oleg,
The license manager can be set up to automatically release the license when it has not been used for a while by a user. Search for "TIMEOUT" in fnp_LicAdmin.pdf for more details on this.
Jeff
Hi Oleg, The license manager can be set up to automatically release the license when it has not been used for a while by a user. Search for "TIMEOUT" in fnp_LicAdmin.pdf for more details on this. Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 déc. 2012, 08:44 UTC−5
Thanks Benjamin! I'll try that today.

Ivar and Jean-Francois, I don't have access to the server that is running the network license manager. I am just an ordinary user :)

Before I bug our sysadmins to set up an automatic release of the license, I just wanted to try to do it the easy way (simply go politely ask the person who left their Comsol open overnight if they can make sure to close it when they leave for the day).
Thanks Benjamin! I'll try that today. Ivar and Jean-Francois, I don't have access to the server that is running the network license manager. I am just an ordinary user :) Before I bug our sysadmins to set up an automatic release of the license, I just wanted to try to do it the easy way (simply go politely ask the person who left their Comsol open overnight if they can make sure to close it when they leave for the day).

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 déc. 2012, 10:38 UTC−5

Benjamin, that worked perfectly. Thanks!!
[QUOTE] This should help: http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1142/ [/QUOTE] Benjamin, that worked perfectly. Thanks!!

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 oct. 2013, 06:44 UTC−4

On my linux system this shows the number of licences in use but not who is using them :(
[QUOTE] This should help: http://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1142/ [/QUOTE] On my linux system this shows the number of licences in use but not who is using them :(

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.