Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling intensity field from high-intensity ultrasound source WITHOUT acoustics module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I cannot afford to buy the Acoustics module, so I'm wondering if it's possible to model the energy being deposited into a material due to multiple ultrasound sources. The KZK equation can be used to calculate the intensity as a function of radial and axial distance from a source. Anyone have experience with this? Is there a situation where I can use the equation-based modeling? Thanks.

--
Austin Roth

2 Replies Last Post 17 nov. 2012, 15:34 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 oct. 2012, 01:27 UTC−4
Hi

everything is possible, as the acoustic module is built upon the basic COMSOL module. But if the price is in the upper module section it probably also means that it's quite some work ;)
By the way I'm also fighting to get an investment to pay me that module, not really for the acoustic sound part, more for all the structure fluid interactions and damping of the structure. In the basic COMSOL you have one entry and an example that deals with acoustic, but it goes not that far. Perhaps you should consider the model builder to make your own module

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi everything is possible, as the acoustic module is built upon the basic COMSOL module. But if the price is in the upper module section it probably also means that it's quite some work ;) By the way I'm also fighting to get an investment to pay me that module, not really for the acoustic sound part, more for all the structure fluid interactions and damping of the structure. In the basic COMSOL you have one entry and an example that deals with acoustic, but it goes not that far. Perhaps you should consider the model builder to make your own module -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 nov. 2012, 15:34 UTC−5
Thank you Ivar. I'll take a look at the module builder. I haven't even taken a look at it, so I'm sure it will be a lot of work. You'll probably hear from me again soon!

--
Austin Roth
Thank you Ivar. I'll take a look at the module builder. I haven't even taken a look at it, so I'm sure it will be a lot of work. You'll probably hear from me again soon! -- Austin Roth

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.