Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need help with Heat Transfer Optimization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello:
I tried to simulate a heat transfer problem with large glass substrate sitting on top of an Aluminum plate with 3 heating zones: inner, outer and rim.

My goal is to find out the heating power setting for each heaters which will provide a uniform temperature profile across the glass substrate. I used Heat Transfer in Solids, defined 3 Heat Sources: Inner, Outer, and Rim.

In Optimization Node: I define 2 Points Integral Objective one at the corner, and one at the center of the glass with Objective expression as (T-Tsetpoint)^2 as suggested by Ivar on another optimization post. I then define 3 Global Control Variables for the 3 Heat Sources: inner, outer and rim.

Is this the right set up for the optimization module?

How do I find out what Heat source parameters are to make the glass temperature uniform?

Your help is appreciated.
Tac.

2 Replies Last Post 17 sept. 2012, 03:51 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 sept. 2012, 03:02 UTC−4
Hi

I'm not sure I got fully the understanding of your model, but if you want the temperature over the full boundary to be constant and uniform, you need to take the integration over the full boundary (and not a few points) of (T-Tset)^2 and minimise the full boundary integration value

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I got fully the understanding of your model, but if you want the temperature over the full boundary to be constant and uniform, you need to take the integration over the full boundary (and not a few points) of (T-Tset)^2 and minimise the full boundary integration value -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 sept. 2012, 03:51 UTC−4
Thanks Ivar, for your suggestion.
Tac.
Thanks Ivar, for your suggestion. Tac.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.