Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

MEMS

Sudhaman Parthasarathi

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

How can i compute the displacement due to gravity in a silicon proof mass in accelerometer and therefore i need to compute the change in capacitance in the accelerometer. My basic question is how do i apply force on a silicon block and compute the displacement.

2 Replies Last Post 16 août 2013, 13:14 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 sept. 2012, 05:37 UTC−4
Hi

if you run a "solid" physics of a geoemtrical system, that is attached by some means to block all free DoFs 3 in 2D, 6 in 3D and then apply a body load (rho*g_const) [N/m^3] or a boundary load [N/m^2] then you should see the deflection.

To get a capacitive change you need one of the ACDC modules and couple the deformation to a squeezing of the air/vacuum region between your electrodes, thiswill give you a change in geometry hence a change in capacitance.

There are several models in the model lbrary and on the Forum

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you run a "solid" physics of a geoemtrical system, that is attached by some means to block all free DoFs 3 in 2D, 6 in 3D and then apply a body load (rho*g_const) [N/m^3] or a boundary load [N/m^2] then you should see the deflection. To get a capacitive change you need one of the ACDC modules and couple the deformation to a squeezing of the air/vacuum region between your electrodes, thiswill give you a change in geometry hence a change in capacitance. There are several models in the model lbrary and on the Forum -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 août 2013, 13:14 UTC−4
what if there're several kind of materials in the model ? How can I apply acceleration on the whole model ?
what if there're several kind of materials in the model ? How can I apply acceleration on the whole model ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.