Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Thin Isolation Layer in In-plane 2D-Axisymmetric Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am currently looking into modeling a soft-magnetic toroid using the "Magnetic and Electric Fields" interface in 2D Axisymmetric space.

In order to magnetize the toroid I use a Surface Current and, therefore, solve for the In-plane vector potential (Three-component vector potential would also work but does not change the solution or problem in a meaningful manner). This model works fine for both stationary and frequency domain studies but leads to a problem I have yet to solve: The main point of the simulation is to introduce thin (air-)gaps inside of the toroid in order to study their effects. I tried this using a number of methods such as a Thin Low Permeability Gap, Magnetic Shielding, Magnetic Insulation, Impedance Boundary Condition and Transition Boundary Condition but none of them had the effect I was looking for and many of them had no significant effect at all with the magnetic flux density and the current density being mostly unchanged.

Attached is the model with the thin layer splitting the toroid in half but with no condition applied at the moment.

Is there some other way such a thin layer can be modeled or a setting in the physics interface I need to change?

Best Regards.

2 Replies Last Post 31 oct. 2022, 08:11 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 27 oct. 2022, 13:54 UTC−4

Hi Carsten,

if I understand the model properly, the ring current would produce a purely azimuthal field in the phi direction. I think it wouldn't be much affected by any thin layers as there isn't any flux through the layers.

What effect are you after?

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Carsten, if I understand the model properly, the ring current would produce a purely azimuthal field in the phi direction. I think it wouldn't be much affected by any thin layers as there isn't any flux through the layers. What effect are you after? Cheers Edgar

Posted: 2 years ago 31 oct. 2022, 08:11 UTC−4

Dear Edgar,

please excuse the delayed response. I expected to get a mail upon receiving responses with "Notify me of replies via email" but something must have went wrong.

You are absolutely correct, the magnetic flux is only in the phi or azimuth direction. The eddy currents on the other hand are in-plane, which is what I am mainly interested in. The goal is to introduce structures in order to reduce the eddy current losses. I did manage to create a model which does show the expected behaviour (see attached figure) but this requires using domains instead of edges, leading to a large number of degrees of freedom.

Best regards Carsten

Dear Edgar, please excuse the delayed response. I expected to get a mail upon receiving responses with "Notify me of replies via email" but something must have went wrong. You are absolutely correct, the magnetic flux is only in the phi or azimuth direction. The eddy currents on the other hand are in-plane, which is what I am mainly interested in. The goal is to introduce structures in order to reduce the eddy current losses. I did manage to create a model which does show the expected behaviour (see attached figure) but this requires using domains instead of edges, leading to a large number of degrees of freedom. Best regards Carsten

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.