Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem at the boundary condition/Reactive transport modelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone, I am new to the COMSOL so i need a bit help here. I am modeling diffusion advection case with simple 1D. I try to simulate the injection of CO2. I am using "Transport of Diluted Species in Porous Media (tds)" in comosl 5.6. I have introduced following chemical equilibrium reactions with appropriate constant of equilibrium values for each reaction. This simulates the dissoultion of CaCO3 as result of CO2 injection.

1. H2O = H+ +OH-
  2. CO2 (aq) + H2O = H+ + HCO3-
  3. HCO3- = H+ +CO3 2-
  4. CaCO3 = Ca2+ + CO3 2-

the boundary conditions are "inflow" at the inlet where I inject CO2 with 100 mol/m^3 and “No flux” condition at the outlet (advection not included). I have a constant velocity of 1e-8 m/s and diffusion coefficient for all the species is equal to 1e-9 m^2/s. (No adsorption or dispersion) .

When I run the model I get satisfactory results. **The only problem is, when I check the total fluxes for different species at the inlet I get a non-zero value. In rules as I am injecting only CO2 I should not get any other inflows. **

I have attached the initial values and the total fluxes for CO2 and Ca++ at the inlet. ‘Line 1’ is for inlet and ‘Line 11’ is for outlet.

2 Replies Last Post 14 juin 2022, 06:46 UTC−4

Posted: 2 years ago 14 juin 2022, 04:30 UTC−4

Perhaps you have to explicitly define that the inflow of other species is zero.

Perhaps you have to explicitly define that the inflow of other species is zero.

Posted: 2 years ago 14 juin 2022, 06:46 UTC−4

yes the inflow of other species is zero. see the attached photo.

yes the inflow of other species is zero. see the attached photo.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.