Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat transfer - surface to surface radiation: simple test case doesn't match theory

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I must be missing something important, but I have a very simple test case (sphere inside a sphere) that I'm checking against theory and it's not matching. I have surface-to-surface radiation between the 2 sphere surfaces and I'm (trying to) apply power to the inner sphere while keeping the outer sphere at a set temperature. I'm new to comsol radiation and there are many things I don't understand yet, which is why I was trying to match a simple test case. (the geometry is this view factor model: https://www.comsol.com/model/view-factor-computation-20701)

When I check the temperature of the inner sphere against theory, the comsol temperature is always too low. For theory, wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_radiation#Radiative_heat_transfer) says:

Prad = sigma * A1 * F12 * (T1.^4 - T2^4)

F12 = (r1/r2)^2

I solve Prad = Pheat to get:

T1 = ((Pheat + sigma * A1 * F12 * T2^4)/(sigma * A1 * F12))^(1/4)

2 Replies Last Post 26 avr. 2022, 11:04 UTC−4

Posted: 2 years ago 22 avr. 2022, 17:57 UTC−4
Updated: 2 years ago 22 avr. 2022, 18:08 UTC−4

Evidently I also don't understand surface-to-ambient radiation either. When I use surface-to-ambient radiation, I get way more cooling that I expect. When I manually enter Prad, I get the correct temperature.

Evidently I also don't understand surface-to-ambient radiation either. When I use surface-to-ambient radiation, I get way more cooling that I expect. When I manually enter Prad, I get the correct temperature.

Posted: 2 years ago 26 avr. 2022, 11:04 UTC−4

Sorry, turns out I made a stupid mistake on the area. I don't see a way to delete this post - there is no problem.

Sorry, turns out I made a stupid mistake on the area. I don't see a way to delete this post - there is no problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.