Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cantilever beam fracture

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everybody

I have a question regarding analysis of deflection of the cantilever beam.
As it is clear, If I apply a small force on tip of the cantilever it will deflect. However in simulation I don't know how I can evaluate if the deflection (or applied force) is small enough to avoid fracture (breaking) of the beam. [beam dimensions are as follow: Length 500 to 100 um , width 30 to 50 um, thickness 0.7 um] and the force is in range of 100 pN
Can anybody give me some idea?

-I went through some mechanical books and they said the maximum stress that a material can tolerate before fracture is equal to yield stress (or fracture strength), but i don't know in my simulation I should compare which parameter with yield stress.

3 Replies Last Post 20 août 2015, 06:34 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 août 2012, 14:15 UTC−4
Hi

here too there are seldom a clear unique answer, yield stress levels are very shape dependent, as you easily get stress concetration around sharp edges or small holes, or defects in the material.

I often use the calculated von Mises stress, but then i use a security factor of 2-3, or more, even twice this if its my first simulation and I do not have any measurements or tests to validate my models.

You are there talking about MEMS devices, here the surface roughness can play you important games, easily a factor 10 in maximum stress levels, and you have often differences in maximum compression strength and traction strength

The best is to compare your model to some simple tests, but be sure you have measured the shapes correctly, and the surface roughness, particularly in he high stress regions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi here too there are seldom a clear unique answer, yield stress levels are very shape dependent, as you easily get stress concetration around sharp edges or small holes, or defects in the material. I often use the calculated von Mises stress, but then i use a security factor of 2-3, or more, even twice this if its my first simulation and I do not have any measurements or tests to validate my models. You are there talking about MEMS devices, here the surface roughness can play you important games, easily a factor 10 in maximum stress levels, and you have often differences in maximum compression strength and traction strength The best is to compare your model to some simple tests, but be sure you have measured the shapes correctly, and the surface roughness, particularly in he high stress regions -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 mars 2014, 03:17 UTC−4
what type physics should i choose to get deflection by applying compression and tensional forces on cantilever surfaces of pizeoresistve materials .
what type physics should i choose to get deflection by applying compression and tensional forces on cantilever surfaces of pizeoresistve materials .

Srikanth Hannabeprakash

Posted: 9 years ago 20 août 2015, 06:34 UTC−4
@Ivar Kjelberg
sir, I am interested to model a force based piezoelectric cantilever. I dont know any tutorial or reference where a force is used to obtain the von mises stress curves. Plz tell me from what type of study you had taken and how to put forces on the tip of the cantilever
@Ivar Kjelberg sir, I am interested to model a force based piezoelectric cantilever. I dont know any tutorial or reference where a force is used to obtain the von mises stress curves. Plz tell me from what type of study you had taken and how to put forces on the tip of the cantilever

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.