Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Use of Processing power from multiple PCs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, we have a ton of PCs with decent specs. I was wondering if we can use its computational power to run our models ? for example i run my model in my laptop and then it uses the computational power of all the other PCs to give me the solutions quickly. (*assume that i have access license, say to use in 5 PCs)

3 Replies Last Post 29 mars 2022, 16:33 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 2 years ago 26 mars 2022, 23:46 UTC−4

I think the easiest way to leverage multiple PCs is in the case of long runs, in which you are simply sweeping through a range of many parameter values, basically running a model over and over as certain parameter(s) change. In that case, you can divide up your problem space into N separate smaller sets of runs, on N separate computers. In that case, the computers don't have to share any memory (you could simply copy initial files between them to set up your separate runs). Of course, ideally, you (and everyone else) would likely prefer to link your multiple computers together to have them act as if they were just one big/amazing computer, sharing (and addressing) all of the combined RAM and disk space, and distributing all computational tasks too, optimally divided among all the processors. Well... in that case, I suggest you ask Comsol's in-house experts directly for detailed advice about what you actually might be able to configure with this software and how. I'm sure they have some ideas to share about how to implement multi-platform computing most efficiently. Good luck.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I think the *easiest* way to leverage multiple PCs is in the case of long runs, in which you are simply sweeping through a range of *many* parameter values, basically running a model over and over as certain parameter(s) change. In that case, you can divide up your problem space into N separate smaller sets of runs, on N separate computers. In that case, the computers don't have to share *any* memory (you could simply copy initial files between them to set up your separate runs). Of course, *ideally*, you (and everyone else) would likely prefer to link your multiple computers together to have them act as if they were just one big/amazing computer, sharing (and addressing) all of the combined RAM and disk space, and distributing all computational tasks too, optimally divided among all the processors. Well... in that case, I suggest you ask Comsol's in-house experts directly for *detailed* advice about what you actually might be able to configure with this software and how. I'm sure they have some ideas to share about how to implement multi-platform computing most efficiently. Good luck.

Posted: 2 years ago 27 mars 2022, 14:48 UTC−4

@robert Thats a good idea, thank you.

@robert Thats a good idea, thank you.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 2 years ago 29 mars 2022, 16:33 UTC−4
Updated: 2 years ago 30 mars 2022, 16:11 UTC−4

Hi Sanjay,

This blog post is a bit old but it deals with your question directly.

From a licensing perspective, cluster computing is permitted under the FNL, CSL and ASL license agreements, and not under the NSL and CPU license agreements.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Sanjay, [This blog post](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/building-beowulf-cluster-faster-multiphysics-simulations/) is a bit old but it deals with your question directly. From a licensing perspective, cluster computing is permitted under the FNL, CSL and ASL license agreements, and not under the NSL and CPU license agreements. Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.