Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error: Parameter lists gives empty sweep

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to know the reasoning behind this error in return of a monotonously incresing series of frequencies.

Examples:
a) 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 90, 100
b) range(5,1995/119,2000)
c) range(5,20,2000))

I have tried all the options above. Have I missed someting between 4.2a and 4.3, because the above behave as expected till 4.3?

Regards,
Onur

7 Replies Last Post 3 sept. 2016, 15:37 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Onur Ilkorur

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 nov. 2012, 17:07 UTC−5
I just got the same error myself, also for a long list on a parameter sweep. It worked fine when I had a short list of parameters, but when I increased the list to 15 entries it gave me the same error. Strangely enough after deleting back to the original short list it still gave me the same error.

Fortunately one of my co-workers had encountered a similar problem earlier and figured out how to fix it. Go to [Study]-->[Job Configurations] and there should be one or more [Parametric] listed there, i.e. [Parametric 1], [Parametric 2], etc. Delete all of those, and then try doing the Parametric Sweep again.
I just got the same error myself, also for a long list on a parameter sweep. It worked fine when I had a short list of parameters, but when I increased the list to 15 entries it gave me the same error. Strangely enough after deleting back to the original short list it still gave me the same error. Fortunately one of my co-workers had encountered a similar problem earlier and figured out how to fix it. Go to [Study]-->[Job Configurations] and there should be one or more [Parametric] listed there, i.e. [Parametric 1], [Parametric 2], etc. Delete all of those, and then try doing the Parametric Sweep again.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 nov. 2012, 02:09 UTC−5
Hi

pls do not forget to report such things to support so they can fix it for all us others.

I know, from the release notes, that there has been some changes in the list handling recently, but havnt reste it all out myself yet

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi pls do not forget to report such things to support so they can fix it for all us others. I know, from the release notes, that there has been some changes in the list handling recently, but havnt reste it all out myself yet -- Good luck Ivar

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 nov. 2012, 03:10 UTC−5
Hi,

I think there is a simple reason for this error: For some reason, in your model, the "Defined by study step" setting in the Parametric 1 solver node's settings window under Stationary Solver 1 is set to "User defined". That means that it's the local parameter value list in that settings window that is used, and in this model it's empty. By default, the setting should be to use the frequencies from "Step 1: Frequency Domain (freq)" to define the frequency sweep. Then the model solves as expected. This is also the reason why it helps to, for example, delete the entire Solver 1 and re-solve the frequency-domain study: then the study step creates a new solver sequence with the Parametric node set to take the frequencies from the study step where you defined them.

Best regards,

Magnus Ringh
COMSOL
Hi, I think there is a simple reason for this error: For some reason, in your model, the "Defined by study step" setting in the Parametric 1 solver node's settings window under Stationary Solver 1 is set to "User defined". That means that it's the local parameter value list in that settings window that is used, and in this model it's empty. By default, the setting should be to use the frequencies from "Step 1: Frequency Domain (freq)" to define the frequency sweep. Then the model solves as expected. This is also the reason why it helps to, for example, delete the entire Solver 1 and re-solve the frequency-domain study: then the study step creates a new solver sequence with the Parametric node set to take the frequencies from the study step where you defined them. Best regards, Magnus Ringh COMSOL

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 févr. 2013, 08:37 UTC−5
I had the same problem,

Maybe it's just me my original attempt was....

Variable A: range (1,1,10)
Variable B: range (0.1,0.1,1)

This did not work and gave the same error.

However the following did work....

Variable A: range (1,1,10)
Variable B: 0.1,0.2,0.3,0.4,0.5,0.6,0.7,0.8,0.9,1.0

Exact same thing, just different syntax. And it worked, but maybe it's just me.

Normally I do not have a problem with double sweeps, but today I did.

Hope it helps,

Rob

I had the same problem, Maybe it's just me my original attempt was.... Variable A: range (1,1,10) Variable B: range (0.1,0.1,1) This did not work and gave the same error. However the following did work.... Variable A: range (1,1,10) Variable B: 0.1,0.2,0.3,0.4,0.5,0.6,0.7,0.8,0.9,1.0 Exact same thing, just different syntax. And it worked, but maybe it's just me. Normally I do not have a problem with double sweeps, but today I did. Hope it helps, Rob

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 mai 2013, 19:29 UTC−4

I just got the same error myself, also for a long list on a parameter sweep. It worked fine when I had a short list of parameters, but when I increased the list to 15 entries it gave me the same error. Strangely enough after deleting back to the original short list it still gave me the same error.

Fortunately one of my co-workers had encountered a similar problem earlier and figured out how to fix it. Go to [Study]-->[Job Configurations] and there should be one or more [Parametric] listed there, i.e. [Parametric 1], [Parametric 2], etc. Delete all of those, and then try doing the Parametric Sweep again.

Hi

I had the same problem but I used Derek advice for job configuration list and it solved the issue!

thanks
[QUOTE] I just got the same error myself, also for a long list on a parameter sweep. It worked fine when I had a short list of parameters, but when I increased the list to 15 entries it gave me the same error. Strangely enough after deleting back to the original short list it still gave me the same error. Fortunately one of my co-workers had encountered a similar problem earlier and figured out how to fix it. Go to [Study]-->[Job Configurations] and there should be one or more [Parametric] listed there, i.e. [Parametric 1], [Parametric 2], etc. Delete all of those, and then try doing the Parametric Sweep again. [/QUOTE] Hi I had the same problem but I used Derek advice for job configuration list and it solved the issue! thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 mai 2013, 15:22 UTC−4
I got this error when I tried to move my project to 4.3a from 4.3. I just switched back to 4.3, as I had no real reason to upgrade, an everything worked again.

I don't know what was changed during the upgrade, but something changed. I also didn't appreciate that I couldn't open in 4.3 the file I saved in 4.3a. Really? I mean, that's just a pain.
I got this error when I tried to move my project to 4.3a from 4.3. I just switched back to 4.3, as I had no real reason to upgrade, an everything worked again. I don't know what was changed during the upgrade, but something changed. I also didn't appreciate that I couldn't open in 4.3 the file I saved in 4.3a. Really? I mean, that's just a pain.

Posted: 8 years ago 3 sept. 2016, 15:37 UTC−4
Thank you I have this problem and solved.
Thank you I have this problem and solved.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.