Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

change parameter over time and set a previous solution as initial condition for another computation over time

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone, I was trying to run a model in Structural mechanics by changing one parameter over time. My model has one study divide into two steps: 1) stationary, a boundary load is applied to a boundary of my geometry, 2) time dependent, the boundary load is now set = 0. What I want to achieve is to observe the viscoelastic behaviour of the material involved when a I changed the boundary load from a value to zero over time and set as initial step of the time dependent study the solution from the stationary step. I computed the stationary step and then I change few setting conditions in the time dependent study as it is possible to see in the figure.

When I plot my result I can see two solution solution store (sol2), the stationary solution, and solution sol1 for the time dependent.

I am wondering if is correct how I set up the time dependent setting. I don't quite understand the difference between the solution given by the stationary step (in yellow) and the solution for t=0 for the time dependent (in blue). Should not they be the same?

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to do this just using one time dependent step where I set up an interpolation function, boundary load vs time, for t=0, I assigned a value to the boundary load, and for t=0+ I set the boundary load to zero. Is this something feasible?

Thanks for all the people who will answer.

Chiara

0 Replies Last Post 9 déc. 2021, 14:12 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chiara Lanzi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.