Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Wrong Length Unit in COMSOL when importing Parasolid file (mm instead of micrometer)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a simple geometry (cube) created in SolidWorks 2021 and I saved it as a ParaSolid file. The dimension of the cube is 50mm. When importing the geometry to COMSOL 5.5 the dimension is changed to a µm range. I tried different geometries and it keeps happening. Can anyone help me with that? How can I make COMSOL to import the right dimensions? (I already clicked on 'length unit: From CAD document')

1 Reply Last Post 7 oct. 2021, 08:49 UTC−4
Lorant Olasz COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 7 oct. 2021, 08:49 UTC−4
Updated: 3 years ago 7 oct. 2021, 10:48 UTC−4

Hi Aynur,
The Parasolid files do not use units, and the geometry is always imported in the unit of the geometry sequence (the unit shown in the Geometry node). In this case, the size of the cube will be correct (0.05m) when you set the geometry unit to m before importing the file. If you set your geometry unit to µm the size after import will be 0.05µm, and you can use the Scale operation to obtain the correct size. Similarly if you set the geometry unit to mm.

Another option would be to import the SOLIDWORKS file, or to export to a format that supports units, such as the STEP format. Before importing these files you can set the Length unit to From CAD document, then import the file. The geometry unit will be then automatically changed to the unit in the imported file, which is mm.

Best regards,
Lorant

Hi Aynur, The Parasolid files do not use units, and the geometry is always imported in the unit of the geometry sequence (the unit shown in the Geometry node). In this case, the size of the cube will be correct (0.05m) when you set the geometry unit to m before importing the file. If you set your geometry unit to µm the size after import will be 0.05µm, and you can use the Scale operation to obtain the correct size. Similarly if you set the geometry unit to mm. Another option would be to import the SOLIDWORKS file, or to export to a format that supports units, such as the STEP format. Before importing these files you can set the Length unit to From CAD document, then import the file. The geometry unit will be then automatically changed to the unit in the imported file, which is mm. Best regards, Lorant

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.