Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling Wrinkling of Bilayers in Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Is it possible to model wrinkling of polymer/metal bilayer in COMSOL due to the modulus mismatch/ compressive stresses?

3 Replies Last Post 10 août 2021, 07:00 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 10 août 2021, 05:43 UTC−4

That depends on the exact modeling strategy you are using. With a Membrane interface, it is currently not possible. If you are using Solid Mechanics, then one approach could be to use a Linear Buckling study to compute for example a critical temperature.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
That depends on the exact modeling strategy you are using. With a Membrane interface, it is currently not possible. If you are using Solid Mechanics, then one approach could be to use a Linear Buckling study to compute for example a critical temperature.

Posted: 3 years ago 10 août 2021, 06:53 UTC−4

Thank you for your reply.

I want to model the compressive residual stresses generated as a result of depositing a metal film on PDMS. One approach I was thinking of is to use the linear buckling study and apply an external stress that would mimic the residual stresses due to the modulus mismatch. Is this viable ?

Thank you for your reply. I want to model the compressive residual stresses generated as a result of depositing a metal film on PDMS. One approach I was thinking of is to use the linear buckling study and apply an external stress that would mimic the residual stresses due to the modulus mismatch. Is this viable ?

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 10 août 2021, 07:00 UTC−4

That sounds viable, yes.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
That sounds viable, yes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.