Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Discrepancy in the Surface Integral of Normal Current Density and Terminal Current

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Could anyone help in resolving this discrepancy in the Surface Integral of Normal Current Density and assigned Terminal Current. See attached the geometry under consideration. The study under consideration is joule heating of copper bars.

Terminal boundary with current of 5A is assigned to (1) and ground boundry is assigned to (4). There is a big difference in between 5A and surface integral of the Normal Current Densities (ec. nj) which are calculated at (1) and (4). Any reasons for this discrepancy.

Secondly, I have then assigned floating potential boundary with V= 0 to (3) and (4), and ground is assigned to (2). Even in this scenario I notice the surface integral of current densities of (1) and (2) to be different from that of 5A. Here floating potential is used becuase there (3) and (4) are electrically isolated from each other and floating potential act as a virtual connection.

I will appreciate your help to resolve this issue.

1 Reply Last Post 1 août 2021, 05:12 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 1 août 2021, 05:12 UTC−4

Hello,

I cannot tell for sure that this is relevant to your situation, but consider having a look at the "Accurate flux computation" entry of the COMSOL manual.

Hello, I cannot tell for sure that this is relevant to your situation, but consider having a look at the "Accurate flux computation" entry of the COMSOL manual.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.