Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"femtime" help needed.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI everyone,
I am trying to use the function: "femtime" for the time dependent solution.
I put the "tlist" as [0:0.0001:0.01] but I saw there is a way to put "tlist" as [0;0.0001;0.01].
I am getting different results. Can you help me to understand what is the difference between them.
~Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post 30 janv. 2010, 01:24 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 janv. 2010, 01:24 UTC−5
Hi

Well the way I understand your notation is that you are in Matlab, or in an older version of COMSOL script:

The notation "a:n:b" with ":" means from "a" by step "n" to "b" (but this is a registred/patented notation of Matlab the way I understand it, and no other software or user are allowed to use this notation outside of Matlab, luckily these people have not patented the integral, or the derivative, otherwise we engineers and scientists would be rather poor and out of our jobs by now!) so this has been replaced by a function to generate the same stepwise array in COMSOL V3.5a.
Other software has different notation, such as Maple uses two dots for the continuation i.e. "a..b" is from "a" to "b" with default steps of "1", and is the same as a Matlab "a:b" with default steps of "1"

The notation [a ; n ; b] means simply a three item aray [a n b]' where [] notation is for the array or matrice, ";" (and not ":") separate columns, while spaces separate elements of a row, and finally the "'" is the transpose of the array

I hope I understood your question correctly and that this can help
Good luck (in the world "how to take a little mony from many to become rich"; even in Science we are stuck ;)
Ivar
Hi Well the way I understand your notation is that you are in Matlab, or in an older version of COMSOL script: The notation "a:n:b" with ":" means from "a" by step "n" to "b" (but this is a registred/patented notation of Matlab the way I understand it, and no other software or user are allowed to use this notation outside of Matlab, luckily these people have not patented the integral, or the derivative, otherwise we engineers and scientists would be rather poor and out of our jobs by now!) so this has been replaced by a function to generate the same stepwise array in COMSOL V3.5a. Other software has different notation, such as Maple uses two dots for the continuation i.e. "a..b" is from "a" to "b" with default steps of "1", and is the same as a Matlab "a:b" with default steps of "1" The notation [a ; n ; b] means simply a three item aray [a n b]' where [] notation is for the array or matrice, ";" (and not ":") separate columns, while spaces separate elements of a row, and finally the "'" is the transpose of the array I hope I understood your question correctly and that this can help Good luck (in the world "how to take a little mony from many to become rich"; even in Science we are stuck ;) Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.