Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Undefined variable problem when calculating the Coil inductance using mf.LCoil_1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am new to COMSOL. Recently, I am trying to calculate the inductance of a pair of close-loop Coils. However, I have this "undefined variable" problem when calculating the inductance using mf.LCoil_1. While in this example (https://www.comsol.com/model/self-inductance-and-mutual-inductance-of-a-single-conductor-and-a-helical-coil-12679) I found on the COMSOL website it seems fine to assume that variable?

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post 1 avr. 2021, 07:04 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago 1 avr. 2021, 07:04 UTC−4

Michelle,

I added a frequency domain step (at 50 Hz) to your model and this makes the inductance variables available. I am a little surprised as well that this is required, because inductance can in principle also be determined in a DC case. But on the other hand induction is not actually 'happening' in a way that could be measured. Make sure you add a small conductivity (e.g. 1 S/m) to the air domain, otherwise the frequency solver may not converge. For more accurate results you may also want to add infinite element domains around the air domain.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Michelle, I added a frequency domain step (at 50 Hz) to your model and this makes the inductance variables available. I am a little surprised as well that this is required, because inductance can in principle also be determined in a DC case. But on the other hand induction is not actually 'happening' in a way that could be measured. Make sure you add a small conductivity (e.g. 1 S/m) to the air domain, otherwise the frequency solver may not converge. For more accurate results you may also want to add infinite element domains around the air domain. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.