Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Compiling equations taking long (particle tracing)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a model with two Studies:
- Study 1: stationary solver for a flow problem
- Study 2: time-dependent particle tracing, based on the stationary velocity field solution from study 1. (Only the particle trajectories are solved for in this step)

Depending on how I choose the time steps for the particle tracing, COMSOL seems to get stuck 'Compiling equations'.
For instance, if I choose the time steps to be

range(0,1e-3,1)

everything runs fine, but if I choose

range(0,1e-3,10)

and click compute for Study 2, the progress window shows 'Compiling equations' and immediately jumps to 100%, but it gets stuck there.

Does anyone have a clue what might be happening here? The two cases shouldn't make that much of a difference I'd say...

3 Replies Last Post 9 juin 2013, 13:46 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tom Wilms

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 juin 2012, 10:03 UTC−4
i've the same problem...
i'll tell you the workaround if i find one.
i've the same problem... i'll tell you the workaround if i find one.

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 juin 2012, 05:03 UTC−4
i found the problem! :)

you have to delete the particletracing solution in results.
if it's not working also delete the particle tracing physics and set it up new.

worked well for me.
i found the problem! :) you have to delete the particletracing solution in results. if it's not working also delete the particle tracing physics and set it up new. worked well for me.

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 juin 2013, 13:46 UTC−4
what you did for this problem? i have the same problem. Was deleting the particle tracing helped?

I have a model with two Studies:
- Study 1: stationary solver for a flow problem
- Study 2: time-dependent particle tracing, based on the stationary velocity field solution from study 1. (Only the particle trajectories are solved for in this step)

Depending on how I choose the time steps for the particle tracing, COMSOL seems to get stuck 'Compiling equations'.
For instance, if I choose the time steps to be

range(0,1e-3,1)

everything runs fine, but if I choose

range(0,1e-3,10)

and click compute for Study 2, the progress window shows 'Compiling equations' and immediately jumps to 100%, but it gets stuck there.

Does anyone have a clue what might be happening here? The two cases shouldn't make that much of a difference I'd say...

what you did for this problem? i have the same problem. Was deleting the particle tracing helped? [QUOTE] I have a model with two Studies: - Study 1: stationary solver for a flow problem - Study 2: time-dependent particle tracing, based on the stationary velocity field solution from study 1. (Only the particle trajectories are solved for in this step) Depending on how I choose the time steps for the particle tracing, COMSOL seems to get stuck 'Compiling equations'. For instance, if I choose the time steps to be range(0,1e-3,1) everything runs fine, but if I choose range(0,1e-3,10) and click compute for Study 2, the progress window shows 'Compiling equations' and immediately jumps to 100%, but it gets stuck there. Does anyone have a clue what might be happening here? The two cases shouldn't make that much of a difference I'd say... [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.