Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stress/vibration analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey,

I want to do a stress analysis on a structure exposed to vibrations in the range of 100-2.5k Hz
I’ve made an attempt by using the Frequency-Domain Modal study in the Solid Mechanics interface.

I’ve tried using different frequency sweeps but don’t get any results (0 displacement for all frequencies), although I’ve managed to run the Egienfrecuency study successfully.

I’ve attached my model in this mail. I would be very grateful if someone could give me some feedback on my model.

/Ulrika

3 Replies Last Post 20 nov. 2014, 04:51 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 avr. 2012, 09:31 UTC−4
Hi

A frequency domain analysis applies a Force load (that you have forgotten to define) as an amplitude mutliplied by a constant sinus type excitation at a frequency range you define.

The second effect is that you have resonaces around 25 kHz and you are plotting the respons around 100 Hz, you will see nothing so far away from your resonance.

I would propose:
1) perform a eigenfrequency to get the modes
2) start with frequency domain (then later go to frequency - modal) for a frequency range ot +/- 5% around your first resonance
3) define a load, i.e. a body gravity load Fy=g_const*solid.rho

then run

Another point to consider: damping, without any damping the resoance are so sharp that often COMSOL either skip then or fail to pass the resonance

To get back to your frequency-domain modal :

Do not forget: !!!!
you need to right click the body or boundary load and add a "Harmonic perturbation" tick this will add the "tilda" on the icon and your load will now be correctly set up .

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi A frequency domain analysis applies a Force load (that you have forgotten to define) as an amplitude mutliplied by a constant sinus type excitation at a frequency range you define. The second effect is that you have resonaces around 25 kHz and you are plotting the respons around 100 Hz, you will see nothing so far away from your resonance. I would propose: 1) perform a eigenfrequency to get the modes 2) start with frequency domain (then later go to frequency - modal) for a frequency range ot +/- 5% around your first resonance 3) define a load, i.e. a body gravity load Fy=g_const*solid.rho then run Another point to consider: damping, without any damping the resoance are so sharp that often COMSOL either skip then or fail to pass the resonance To get back to your frequency-domain modal : Do not forget: !!!! you need to right click the body or boundary load and add a "Harmonic perturbation" tick this will add the "tilda" on the icon and your load will now be correctly set up . -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 mai 2012, 16:01 UTC−4
Thank you very much Ivar!

I think I get it now =)
Thank you very much Ivar! I think I get it now =)

Posted: 10 years ago 20 nov. 2014, 04:51 UTC−5
Hi

Could you please answer the following

1. Do we have to have booth boundary as well as body loads as contained in your file?

2. I want to apply a load of 250 uN , do I have to convert it into G force?

Thanks for your time
Regards
Anurekha

Hi

A frequency domain analysis applies a Force load (that you have forgotten to define) as an amplitude mutliplied by a constant sinus type excitation at a frequency range you define.

The second effect is that you have resonaces around 25 kHz and you are plotting the respons around 100 Hz, you will see nothing so far away from your resonance.

I would propose:
1) perform a eigenfrequency to get the modes
2) start with frequency domain (then later go to frequency - modal) for a frequency range ot +/- 5% around your first resonance
3) define a load, i.e. a body gravity load Fy=g_const*solid.rho

then run

Another point to consider: damping, without any damping the resoance are so sharp that often COMSOL either skip then or fail to pass the resonance

To get back to your frequency-domain modal :

Do not forget: !!!!
you need to right click the body or boundary load and add a "Harmonic perturbation" tick this will add the "tilda" on the icon and your load will now be correctly set up .

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi Could you please answer the following 1. Do we have to have booth boundary as well as body loads as contained in your file? 2. I want to apply a load of 250 uN , do I have to convert it into G force? Thanks for your time Regards Anurekha [QUOTE] Hi A frequency domain analysis applies a Force load (that you have forgotten to define) as an amplitude mutliplied by a constant sinus type excitation at a frequency range you define. The second effect is that you have resonaces around 25 kHz and you are plotting the respons around 100 Hz, you will see nothing so far away from your resonance. I would propose: 1) perform a eigenfrequency to get the modes 2) start with frequency domain (then later go to frequency - modal) for a frequency range ot +/- 5% around your first resonance 3) define a load, i.e. a body gravity load Fy=g_const*solid.rho then run Another point to consider: damping, without any damping the resoance are so sharp that often COMSOL either skip then or fail to pass the resonance To get back to your frequency-domain modal : Do not forget: !!!! you need to right click the body or boundary load and add a "Harmonic perturbation" tick this will add the "tilda" on the icon and your load will now be correctly set up . -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.