Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

About optical force calculation of particles manipulated by microring resonator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,everyone.

I want to simulate a structure which includes two bus waveguides and one microring resonator to form an on-chip optical tweezer. One microparticle is placed in the gap area between one waveguide and the resonator.

The structure is quite similar with:
pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nl100501d
(work from Kenneth Crozier, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University)

I want to use the Maxwell Stress Tensor method to calculate the optical force on it.

I tried the following:
In Results-Derived values. I added a surface integration for the whole surface of this ball-shaped particles. However, I am not sure how the expression of the force is.

If you have some ideas about optical force calculation, please feel free to discuss with me.

Thank you so much.

5 Replies Last Post 6 juil. 2015, 00:02 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jiawei Wang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 juin 2012, 12:22 UTC−4
Hi Jiawei,
I am relatively new to comsol, but I also want to do something similar to what you described. I want to simulate the Optical force on a microring cavity, when it is at resonance. I know that it will involve using the maxwell stress tensor to compute the force, but I am unsure of how to proceed. Did you have any success with your model? If so I'd like to discuss with you about how you did it. Also with regards to your question about computing optical force, take a look at this paper, it might be quite helpful.

iopscience.iop.org/2040-8986/13/4/044016/pdf/2040-8986_13_4_044016.pdf

Regards,
Kene
Hi Jiawei, I am relatively new to comsol, but I also want to do something similar to what you described. I want to simulate the Optical force on a microring cavity, when it is at resonance. I know that it will involve using the maxwell stress tensor to compute the force, but I am unsure of how to proceed. Did you have any success with your model? If so I'd like to discuss with you about how you did it. Also with regards to your question about computing optical force, take a look at this paper, it might be quite helpful. http://iopscience.iop.org/2040-8986/13/4/044016/pdf/2040-8986_13_4_044016.pdf Regards, Kene

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 janv. 2013, 01:31 UTC−5
Hi Mr Wang,

Currently I have a model which can simulate the optical force on the particle above the waveguide.

But I can not simuate the micro ring resonator with comsol, Would you please discuss with me? We can share the what we learned. thank you.
Hi Mr Wang, Currently I have a model which can simulate the optical force on the particle above the waveguide. But I can not simuate the micro ring resonator with comsol, Would you please discuss with me? We can share the what we learned. thank you.

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 janv. 2013, 12:12 UTC−5
Dear All

i hope that you are well, please if you are successful in optical force calculation just tell me how can i do it, because i want to simulate optical waveguide and i should calculate the optical forces induced be the pump wave and the stoke wave, please if you have any idea just tell me, i wish you all the best.

Best Regards

Hassanain
Dear All i hope that you are well, please if you are successful in optical force calculation just tell me how can i do it, because i want to simulate optical waveguide and i should calculate the optical forces induced be the pump wave and the stoke wave, please if you have any idea just tell me, i wish you all the best. Best Regards Hassanain

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mars 2013, 21:33 UTC−5

Hi Mr Wang,

Currently I have a model which can simulate the optical force on the particle above the waveguide.

But I can not simuate the micro ring resonator with comsol, Would you please discuss with me? We can share the what we learned. thank you.

Hi, Richie Guo,

I am currently doing maxwell stress tensor simulation and interested in your model about the optical force on the particle above the waveguide. Can you send me a copy, so we can discuss then? My subject is about optofludics. My version is 4.3. Thank you!

Regards,
Yuzhi
[QUOTE] Hi Mr Wang, Currently I have a model which can simulate the optical force on the particle above the waveguide. But I can not simuate the micro ring resonator with comsol, Would you please discuss with me? We can share the what we learned. thank you. [/QUOTE] Hi, Richie Guo, I am currently doing maxwell stress tensor simulation and interested in your model about the optical force on the particle above the waveguide. Can you send me a copy, so we can discuss then? My subject is about optofludics. My version is 4.3. Thank you! Regards, Yuzhi

Posted: 9 years ago 6 juil. 2015, 00:02 UTC−4
Hi everyone. i am new in comsol. i want to design microring resonator in 3D. i have try design it in 2D by refering to the comsol's tutorial, but the result is not right.. anyone please help me..

Thank you in advance
Hi everyone. i am new in comsol. i want to design microring resonator in 3D. i have try design it in 2D by refering to the comsol's tutorial, but the result is not right.. anyone please help me.. Thank you in advance

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.