Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PDE as boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to solve a diffision / heat transfer problem where one of the boundary conditions is a PDE:

Boundary conditions:

at x=l <-----

(this is the boudary condition for a well-stirred fluid or an ideal heat conductor)

Initial condition:

How do I implement this boundary condition in COMSOL (mathematics package)?

Best, Tobias

EDIT: Modified the equations such that they fit to the solution by Jeff.

2 Replies Last Post 26 mai 2020, 11:56 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 26 mai 2020, 10:57 UTC−4
Updated: 4 years ago 26 mai 2020, 11:01 UTC−4

Hello Tobias,

You can use a Flux boundary condition at x=l. See the attached file, where I non-dimensionalized everything (i.e. I took l=h=D=c0=1) and chose my own initial condition since you didn't say what it should be.

Best, Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Tobias, You can use a Flux boundary condition at x=l. See the attached file, where I non-dimensionalized everything (i.e. I took l=h=D=c0=1) and chose my own initial condition since you didn't say what it should be. Best, Jeff

Posted: 4 years ago 26 mai 2020, 11:56 UTC−4

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much, that's exactly the solution for my problem. I have edited the equations in my initial question such that they fit to your solution in case someone else has a similar problem.

Best, Tobias

Hi Jeff, Thank you so much, that's exactly the solution for my problem. I have edited the equations in my initial question such that they fit to your solution in case someone else has a similar problem. Best, Tobias

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.