Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Assigning a function to an Electric Potential boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am currently making a model using the Electric Currents and the Bioheat Transfer physics. I want to assign a waveform to an electric potential: In stead of a continue 2000 V boundary I want the function [2000e^(-(t/tau-0.003))^2)] assigned to it. When I inserted this formula into the Electric potential field my simulation wouldn't finish, the convergence plot kept going up. It worked before I changed this so I am assuming this is the cause. So my question is: How do I assign a wavefunction to an electric potential?

Kind regards, Carolien

1 Reply Last Post 13 janv. 2020, 10:53 UTC−5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 13 janv. 2020, 10:53 UTC−5

Carolien,

you may need to add a stationary step that applies 2000V to the boundary before the time dependent step. In the time dependent step you set the initial values to the result of the first stationary step. Make sure you add a parameter t = 0 into the global parameter list to provide a correct expression for the stationary step. This t will later be overwritten by the time dependent solver. Without this the time dependent solver may not be able to master the initial step.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Carolien, you may need to add a stationary step that applies 2000V to the boundary before the time dependent step. In the time dependent step you set the initial values to the result of the first stationary step. Make sure you add a parameter t = 0 into the global parameter list to provide a correct expression for the stationary step. This t will later be overwritten by the time dependent solver. Without this the time dependent solver may not be able to master the initial step. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.