Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using step function to generate mixed Cauchy boundary condition (Rainfall infiltration boundary condition)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am simulating a hydraulic performance for a 1D soil layer. I am trying to model a heavy rainfall event which will generate surface flow. I assume that the water in each time step will either infiltrate into the soil or become surface runoff, which means that no ponding on the soil surface.

I have stuck with the rainfall infiltration boundary condition, I did some research, and some paper suggested that using a mixed Cauchy boundary condition, changing the boundary condition between "Inlet" and "pervious layer" based on calculated pressure on the soil surface.

However, since I am new to COMSOL, I didn't figure out how to use the step function to switch between "Inlet" and "Pervious layer" based on soil surface pressure.

I understand this is a simple problem; I appreciate if any expert in COMSOL can help me to solve this problem.

Thank you very much!!!

Kind regards, Selena

0 Replies Last Post 29 mai 2019, 10:39 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Selena Zang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.