Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Questions about Navier Stokes implementation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks – please excuse my naivety as I am not an experienced Comsol user. I have a couple of questions about a model I used that I'm hoping you can help with. Upon reading my report, someone asked me (1) what formulation (of Navier-Stokes) was used (u-p or nearly incompressible flow with penalty); (2) what type of elements were used; and (3) whether they are stabilized (P1, P2/P1, bubble)? I was hoping someone could explain what these mean, and perhaps how to find the answers.
Dan

1 Reply Last Post 30 oct. 2011, 07:23 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 oct. 2011, 07:23 UTC−4
Hi

that depends on how you set up your model, check with the doc and look carefully, node by node.

You might need to turn on Discretisation view (the type of elemets, = in COMSOL shape functions normally 2nd order)

As well for "advanced features"

Selecting COMSOL defaults and making models are easy and nice but still you should study a little he underlying, to know what you are doing ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that depends on how you set up your model, check with the doc and look carefully, node by node. You might need to turn on Discretisation view (the type of elemets, = in COMSOL shape functions normally 2nd order) As well for "advanced features" Selecting COMSOL defaults and making models are easy and nice but still you should study a little he underlying, to know what you are doing ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.