Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Defining Electric Field with X or Y polarization in 2-D axisymmetric case in RF (wave Optics) module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I was using the 2-D axisymmetric electromagnetic module to simulate a 3-D case. I can see that all fields are defined as Er, Ephi, Ez in this axisymmetric case in both "port" and "electric field". I want to define a wave with y polarization or x polarization. How can I do that? Also, clearly I can not express my desired x or y polarization base on R and Phi components since it involves sin(phi) and cos(phi) which are not recognizable by this module.

Thanks in advance

1 Reply Last Post 15 nov. 2018, 10:48 UTC−5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 15 nov. 2018, 10:48 UTC−5

First of all, it sounds to me like you might be better off using a different representation (such as 3D). The 2-D axisymmetric model presupposes that your problem has 2-D axisymmetry; a plane wave does not directly exhibit that symmetry. That said, there can be extensions employed that, in some cases, will still allow you to do limited work in the 2-D axi-sym mode while using field distributions that do not exhibit that symmetry! But you will have to be very careful to do the math properly. For a very good example of how this can be accomplished, see the "conical horn lens antennna" in the Comsol-supplied application library, for the RF module.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
First of all, it sounds to me like you might be better off using a different representation (such as 3D). The 2-D axisymmetric model presupposes that your problem has 2-D axisymmetry; a plane wave does not directly exhibit that symmetry. That said, there can be extensions employed that, in some cases, will still allow you to do limited work in the 2-D axi-sym mode while using field distributions that do not exhibit that symmetry! But you will have to be very careful to do the math properly. For a very good example of how this can be accomplished, see the "conical horn lens antennna" in the Comsol-supplied application library, for the RF module.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.