Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Do apps compiled on Windows PC work with macOS?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have created a standalone app with the compiler on a windows computer. When I tried to open the .exe file with macOS it display error message that Windows app are not supported in macOS. Is there a way around?

Regards, Mayuri

4 Replies Last Post 17 avr. 2019, 08:06 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 6 years ago 8 nov. 2018, 14:07 UTC−5
Updated: 5 years ago 17 avr. 2019, 08:05 UTC−4

When you compile the app, you get to say for what platform you want to compile it, see attached screenshot. So, yes, you can use a Windows machine to create a compiled app to run on MacOS or Linux (but an app compiled for one platform cannot run on another platform).

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
When you compile the app, you get to say for what platform you want to compile it, see attached screenshot. So, yes, you can use a Windows machine to create a compiled app to run on MacOS or Linux (but an app compiled for one platform cannot run on another platform). Best, Jeff

Posted: 6 years ago 8 nov. 2018, 14:17 UTC−5

I see. Thank you.

I see. Thank you.

Posted: 5 years ago 17 avr. 2019, 07:55 UTC−4

it is not possible because windows and mac os both are different platforms, and they are not compatible to each other,in order to run your program in mac os, you have to compile it on mac.

it is not possible because windows and mac os both are different platforms, and they are not compatible to each other,in order to run your program in mac os, you have to compile it on mac.

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 17 avr. 2019, 08:06 UTC−4

No, the latest reply is not correct. You can compile for all supported platforms, including macOS, from Windows, as already stated in an earlier reply.

Best regards,

Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

No, the latest reply is not correct. You can compile for all supported platforms, including macOS, from Windows, as already stated in an earlier reply. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.