Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Low values for reaction order

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm quite new to Comsol, so please excuse me if I'm asking something trivial.

I'm trying to generate a simple reactor model where DME reacts to different Hydrocarbons. But I'm only interested in the decline of DME. Here's the expressions I entered in the re-module:

re.kf_1*((re.c_DME[m^3/mol])^a_DME)[mol/m^3]

My problem is that if the exponent in DME (a_DME) _is below 0.8, the solver says that maybe a singulartiy was reached. I don't understand this behaviour, has anyone an idea about that or how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks in advance! Till

1 Reply Last Post 30 juil. 2018, 05:56 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 30 juil. 2018, 05:56 UTC−4

This is only a suggestion:

Divide the concentration variable with the standard concentration C0 = 1 mol/L. Then a plain number is raised to a non-integer power. I guess that this is what you are already kind of doing as you have added [m^3/mol] after the concentration variable re.c_DME. What is the dimension of the reaction rate constant? Now it appears to be 1/s, otherwise the equation does not agree with the reaction rate.

This is only a suggestion: Divide the concentration variable with the standard concentration C0 = 1 mol/L. Then a plain number is raised to a non-integer power. I guess that this is what you are already kind of doing as you have added [m^3/mol] after the concentration variable re.c_DME. What is the dimension of the reaction rate constant? Now it appears to be 1/s, otherwise the equation does not agree with the reaction rate.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.