Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Induced Current

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I'm trying to calculate the EM properties of a detector that admits a cylindrical symmetry. One thing I'd like to find is the current density that is induced by a changing magnetic field sourced by an external current density j. At the end of the day, I want j~cos(t), and when I put this into the simulation I get the expected fields as well as an induced current that has a semi-reasonable behavior (I haven't checked the numbers yet).

However, I made j=1, which gives me the expected induced fields, but this change also gives me an unexpected current density, in that there is one there. While the induced EMF is 0, there is a non-negligible current density. Could someone explain to me why this is? The detector is supposed to be made of a superconductor, so I amped the conductivity of the material way up. Is it possible that there is a small error in the induced Efield that is being amped up by the high conductivity and causing this anomalous current density? I had to make the mesh extremely coarse because otherwise run times are too long, so this might also cause further error.

I've attached the simulation file below.

-Best, Henry

0 Replies Last Post 5 juil. 2018, 14:19 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Henry Froland

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.