Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Bending a cylinder without fixed constraints?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I’m new to the Structural Mechanics module and I’m having trouble finding out which constraints & loads I need for my simulation. I would like to simulate the strain along a bent cylinder. All of the examples I’ve seen in the documentation have one end of the beam/cylinder fixed. Is there a way to bend a geometry & calculate its strain without fixing one end? The end geometry I want would look something similar to the picture I’ve attached. I’ve been playing around with the tutorials & testing different constraints but I’m not having luck. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Clayton

1 Reply Last Post 9 mai 2018, 17:44 UTC−4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 9 mai 2018, 17:44 UTC−4

Clayton,

I think you can achieve that with a Prescribed Displacement in the cylinder domain or on its boundaries. You have to find the expressions for the displacement components according to the deformed shape you want.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Clayton, I think you can achieve that with a Prescribed Displacement in the cylinder domain or on its boundaries. You have to find the expressions for the displacement components according to the deformed shape you want. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.