Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency to Time FFT study results are not consistent with the Time domain results when External Strain node is used

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I'm trying to obtain the time response of an elastic inclusion inside a visoelastic matrix when the inclusion is subject to sinusoidal time dependent inelastic-strain (Using "External Strain" node). I tried two approaches:

1- "Time dependent" study over a sufficient amount of time (4 times the biggest relaxtion time of the viscoelastic matrix). 2- "Frequency domain" study over a wide range of frequencies with an amplitude equal to the amplitude of the the actual actuation signal followed by a "Frequency to Time FFT" study (following a similar approach as the one in "Viscoelastic Structural Damper" tutorial)

However, the results of the two studies are totally different. Particularly, the time dependent response matches very well with the available analytical results for stresses and strains time histories but the inverse fft study results are totally off.

I have tried the same problem with the inclusion subject to a time dependent "body load" (instead of "external strain") and the results of the two approaches agree very well.

Does anyone have a solution or an advice for this problem?

-Thanks

0 Replies Last Post 10 avr. 2018, 19:47 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mohammad Kazemi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.