Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Issues of continuously transposed conductor (CTC) modelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL Community, I am using COMSOL for some time and this is the first time I have encountered a problem. So, this is my first post in this forum. I am trying to investigating frequency dependent inductance due non-uniform current distribution and skin/proximity effect in solid and continuously transposed conductor (CTC) at high frequency upto 3 MHz. For this purpose, I have developed very simple 3D circular coil models of solid condutor and CTC with 5 strands. (Previously, I have also worked with 2D axisemmetry models to observe the effect of frequency on inductance of the coil and everything worked).

And now I have simulated the 3D solid conductor coil model and it also works fine. But I have issues with the simulation of CTC coil model. I have tried to use different solvers but it is not working and solution does not converges. Can someone in the community help me in this regard? I have attached the model of simple 5-strand CTC.

Secondly, as if we increase the no. of strands in the coil the geomatry becomes complex to build mannually. So, Is there any tool or code in COMSOL to create the geomatry of CTC with many strands?

I would really appreciate your help in this regard.

Thank you, Mehran

0 Replies Last Post 23 mars 2018, 06:20 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mehran Tahir

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.