Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

modelling a crack in AC/DC

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

We do a lot of eddy current calculations and are often interested in response to a crack. Currently, the only way we have to do this is to put in a very thin region and declare it to be air. This, of course results in a very fine mesh or a mesh with very distorted elements. It would be nicer to just declare that Jnormal to a boundary was zero. I've tried using a transition boundary condition but that doesn't produce the right result. Any ideas on how the current boundary condition could be imposed? Typically we work in mf as there are no external current sources.

2 Replies Last Post 11 avr. 2017, 15:30 UTC−4
Nirmal Paudel Tribhuvan University/Electrical Engineering

Posted: 7 years ago 10 avr. 2017, 14:12 UTC−4
Hi Ross,

The small cracks in the metal structures can be modeled in Magnetic and Electric Fields (MEF) physics using the combination of "Magnetic Continuity" plus "Electric Insulation". Unfortunately, this is not available in the Magnetic Fields physics.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Nirmal
Hi Ross, The small cracks in the metal structures can be modeled in Magnetic and Electric Fields (MEF) physics using the combination of "Magnetic Continuity" plus "Electric Insulation". Unfortunately, this is not available in the Magnetic Fields physics. Hope this helps. Best Regards, Nirmal

Posted: 7 years ago 11 avr. 2017, 15:30 UTC−4
Thanks. Gave it a try and got comparable results a bit faster. I'll explore this a bit more
Thanks. Gave it a try and got comparable results a bit faster. I'll explore this a bit more

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.