Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error using Polarization in Transient EM wave problems

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I cannot understand the reason for the following error.
The following simple 2D transient EM problem (temw) is solved with COMSOL 4.3:
a pulse enters a rectangular domain from left (boundary condition = scattering, plane wave) and proceeds towards right (BC = scattering).
Top and bottom of the rectangle are PEC.
If I use Relative Permittivity = 1 in the Electric Displacement Field of the Wave Equation box, the solution is correct.
If I use Remanent Electric Displacement = 0, the solution is (correctly) identical.
If I use Polarization = 0, the solution should be the same (in my opinion) but instead I get an error connected to the variable temw.epsilonrxx (Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian).

Any idea of the reason for that behavior?

Thanks,
Roberto

0 Replies Last Post 18 mars 2017, 11:06 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Roberto Olmi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.