Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dynamic Data Extension

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm interested in the inner workings of the dynamic data extension feature for creating animations. It's a very useful tool for visualizations and it works great, but I'm wondering about the computation processes that COMSOL uses to create the dynamic graphics.

I have two models using the eigenfrequency study in acoustics module. One is a simple standing wave tube, the other is the same tube with a feedback loop which results in a traveling acoustic wave. The dynamic data extension animations show the two wave types very clearly, however from the data that I am able to export (amplitude of the acoustic pressure as a function of position in the tube) it is impossible to determine whether the wave is standing or traveling (since there is no information about evolution of the wave over time).

I was hoping to learn more about how COMSOL is able to generate an accurate time dependent animation in a frequency domain study. Thanks in advance. I'm new to the software so any help is appreciated.

1 Reply Last Post 27 janv. 2017, 15:52 UTC−5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 27 janv. 2017, 15:52 UTC−5
Jesse,

the dynamic data extension can only show you the quantities along a harmonic cycle. There is just no time in the frequency domain. If you want to see temporal phenomena you have to run a time dependent study.
In case you have a frequency sweep you can transform to time domain by an FFT.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Jesse, the dynamic data extension can only show you the quantities along a harmonic cycle. There is just no time in the frequency domain. If you want to see temporal phenomena you have to run a time dependent study. In case you have a frequency sweep you can transform to time domain by an FFT. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.