Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Normal current into cross section of 2D geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm doing a thermal simulation of electric power cables with the "Joule Heating Physics" module.
Till now I'm assuming a constant heat source to model the conduction losses.
I'm trying to use the "electric currents" node for defining a current that generates heat instead of
using a constant heat source till now. Maybe there is some way to insert a formula for conduction losses dependent on the flowing current and temperature?

I want to define a normal current into the cross section of the conductor.
So I'm working at the "x-y-plane" (the cross section) and I want to let the current flow through that cross section in z direction.

If anybody knows a way to do that please let me know.

Thanks !

Jan

2 Replies Last Post 18 mars 2017, 11:24 UTC−4

Posted: 8 years ago 7 déc. 2016, 06:48 UTC−5
Joule heat is resistivity*(current density)².

Resistivity has the dimension Ohm*cm and current density A/cm². Their product is VA/cm^3 = W/cm^3. Use that as the heat source.

BR
Lasse
Joule heat is resistivity*(current density)². Resistivity has the dimension Ohm*cm and current density A/cm². Their product is VA/cm^3 = W/cm^3. Use that as the heat source. BR Lasse

Posted: 7 years ago 18 mars 2017, 11:24 UTC−4
Hi Jan,

did you solve the problem? I am doing the same. Have a cable crossection in 2D and want a normal current through it to simulate heat transfer to the cable surroundings.
Would be great if you could give me a hint! ;-)

Best, Madlen
Hi Jan, did you solve the problem? I am doing the same. Have a cable crossection in 2D and want a normal current through it to simulate heat transfer to the cable surroundings. Would be great if you could give me a hint! ;-) Best, Madlen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.