Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Clamped boundary condition for 2D model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have problem making Clamped boundary condition for 2D model. In fact, there is “Fixed constraint” which restricts movement in U and V (or X and Y) directions. But there is a need to eliminate rotation around Z axes. I rectangle subjected to heat expansion and selected the upper and lower horizontal edges subjected to “Fixed constraint”. The main problem is with unrealistically large deformation at both ends. It seems that not limiting the mentioned rotation may be the reason for this even out of plane!! deformation. I got better results using finer mesh. But still there is severely deformation at both ends. I would appreciate if you give me some advises in this regard.

2 Replies Last Post 16 nov. 2016, 10:00 UTC−5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 16 nov. 2016, 09:44 UTC−5
Hello Reza,
In a 2D solid structural analysis, rotations are not degrees of freedom, only displacements. That is why you cannot impose zero rotation at a point. What you can do is impose a fixed constraint to a point and a roller condition to a segment (or fixed constraint to one point and roller at another point, etc).
Best,
Jeff
Hello Reza, In a 2D solid structural analysis, rotations are not degrees of freedom, only displacements. That is why you cannot impose zero rotation at a point. What you can do is impose a fixed constraint to a point and a roller condition to a segment (or fixed constraint to one point and roller at another point, etc). Best, Jeff

Posted: 8 years ago 16 nov. 2016, 10:00 UTC−5
Thank you Jeff. I used fixed constraint to a point and a roller condition to a segment and the deformation seems to be logical.
Thank you Jeff. I used fixed constraint to a point and a roller condition to a segment and the deformation seems to be logical.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.