Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help panel not appearing (fixed)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Solution in first reply.

ALTERNATE SOLUTION: File->Preferences, select Help page, and change "Help mode" to "Web browser". While this isn't really the ideal solution, it can help in a pinch if the root cause can't be found.

ORIGINAL PROBLEM: When I select "Help" from a study node, or when I click the help button near the upper right corner of the window, no help window appears. It is not in any of the panels or on a different monitor, and restarting COMSOL does not help. There are no error messages in the COMSOL Messages/Log panels. I'm running Windows 10 Pro.

2 Replies Last Post 25 juil. 2017, 07:54 UTC−4
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 15 sept. 2016, 06:48 UTC−4
Hi Justin,

From your problem description it appears that your COMSOL Desktop layout is corrupt. You can reset it by deleting the file mainwindow.xml in the .comsol/v52a/ folder under your user directory. Having done this, restart COMSOL Multiphysics, switch back to integrated help in the Preferences dialog, and then try to access the context help again.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi Justin, From your problem description it appears that your COMSOL Desktop layout is corrupt. You can reset it by deleting the file mainwindow.xml in the .comsol/v52a/ folder under your user directory. Having done this, restart COMSOL Multiphysics, switch back to integrated help in the Preferences dialog, and then try to access the context help again. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Posted: 7 years ago 25 juil. 2017, 07:54 UTC−4
I recently installed version 5.3 of COMSOL. The help panel doesn't appear when the settings is set to local directory. When changed to online, the entire documentation appears, but it is more helpful to get help directly from study node or using search box. I could use this in the previous version 5.2a, but since installing 5.3, i am not getting this feature even after getting the latest update of this version.
I recently installed version 5.3 of COMSOL. The help panel doesn't appear when the settings is set to local directory. When changed to online, the entire documentation appears, but it is more helpful to get help directly from study node or using search box. I could use this in the previous version 5.2a, but since installing 5.3, i am not getting this feature even after getting the latest update of this version.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.