Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to define a lineary or exponetially closing valve profile in water-hammer problem and pipe flow modules for a straight piping system

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I want to model water-hammer phenomena for a linearly closing and exponentially closing valve condition in an straight piping system. The piping is connected with constant reservoir at one end and other end is connected with fast closing valve.

Comsol provides example problem with sudden closure of valve with the above layout.

I tried to provide some boundary condition like u0*t[1/s]-1, +1, -2.1 and +2.1 but I am not getting the desired flow velocity at valve location. It seems that velocity is coming to zero and then negative in 0.0001 sec. The solver is being used is transient solver with (0, 1e-03,0.1) and I changed these values but nothing changes.

I see some options like interpolation, step function and analytical function but I do not know how to use them properly. I tried with step function as step1 with From (1.5) To (0) and Location 1 but the desired velocity pattern could not be developed. What is the meaning of Location here whether it is distance or something else.

Whether I can use interpolation function for defining variable Boundary condition as linear closing of valve. I get int1 and the plots are correct but 'HOT TO IMPLEMENT IT'. I have a n initial velocity u0 =1.5 m/s and if I selected Velocity as boundary condition then whether I should write u0*int1 or something else as this is not working.

Please help to understand these things.

0 Replies Last Post 1 juil. 2016, 04:47 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Pavan Patel

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.