Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Wave Propagation/Resonance in Nonlinear solid materials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL fellows,

I have encountered a problem in simulating resonance of my own external nonlinear material in a simply-supported aluminum thin plate. Using time-dependent study, it still gives me exactly the same result as in linear case. i.e. No harmonic generation.

Here are related info and things I have checked:
1. The elastic constants in my material model are functions of current strains only.
2. My material model reduced to linear case by turning off nonlinear parameters.
3. Mesh and Time steps in the solver are below the suggested value from Solution 1127 & 1118
4. The excitation source is at the center of the plate, which is a Gaussian spatially, and the mesh nearby is finer.
5. The simulation is done under 3-D because my material model is aimed to solved arbitrary geometry later on. The aspect ratio is about 10000:1.

Is there any other settings on time-dependent solver to be address for nonlinear wave propagation/resonance? Or any other thing to be careful about?

Best regards,

Kevin

0 Replies Last Post 27 juin 2016, 17:19 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kevin Yi-Wei Lin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.