Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

No Matlab Livelink response after loading model to Matlab

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I have a large Comsol 4.3a model with size almost 50 GB. I would like to run it through MatLab to export all solution data from parametric sweep simulation with almost 1,300 parameter combinations. The problem is that MatLab cannot step to the next script even though its status is busy after finishing loading the model using the following script.

addpath '/cluster/cloud/comsol-43a/mli'
import com.comsol.model.*
import com.comsol.model.util.*

mphstart
ModelUtil.showProgress(true);
model=mphload();

I'm guessing that the model size is too large and there is some limitation on Java about size in the settings. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Mengxue

8 Replies Last Post 1 juil. 2016, 11:27 UTC−4

Posted: 8 years ago 23 juin 2016, 14:54 UTC−4
Hi Mengxue,

Please keep in mind that COMSOL supports the following versions of MATLAB when interfacing with COMSOL Multiphysics version 4.3:

COMSOL® Version Supported MATLAB® versions
COMSOL 4.3b R2012b + R2013a
COMSOL 4.3a R2012a + R2012b
COMSOL 4.3 R2011b + R2012a
COMSOL 4.2a R2011a + R2011b
COMSOL 4.2 R2010b + R2011a

I hope this helps,
David Hovsepian
Hi Mengxue, Please keep in mind that COMSOL supports the following versions of MATLAB when interfacing with COMSOL Multiphysics version 4.3: COMSOL® Version Supported MATLAB® versions COMSOL 4.3b R2012b + R2013a COMSOL 4.3a R2012a + R2012b COMSOL 4.3 R2011b + R2012a COMSOL 4.2a R2011a + R2011b COMSOL 4.2 R2010b + R2011a I hope this helps, David Hovsepian

Posted: 8 years ago 23 juin 2016, 15:01 UTC−4
Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm now using R2015a, but the script works well for my another parametric sweep simulation with 170 parameter combinations. I guess it should be fine to use R2015a. The problem occurs when the number comes to 1,300. That's why I'm guessing the size matters.

Mengxue

Hi David, Thanks for the quick reply. I'm now using R2015a, but the script works well for my another parametric sweep simulation with 170 parameter combinations. I guess it should be fine to use R2015a. The problem occurs when the number comes to 1,300. That's why I'm guessing the size matters. Mengxue

Lars Gregersen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 27 juin 2016, 07:36 UTC−4
Hi

Your Matlab version, although officially unsupported for your version of Comsol, is most likely not the problem.

For large models your Matlab and Comsol must run as 64-bit processes.

Older versions of Comsol had a few minor problems with memory management that you may have run into. Upgrading to a newer version of Comsol may solve the problem. You are always welcome to send your model to support where someone can have a look at it in order to see if the problem is fixed in the latest version of Comsol. Since the model is large please remove the solution before sending the file.

--
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
Hi Your Matlab version, although officially unsupported for your version of Comsol, is most likely not the problem. For large models your Matlab and Comsol must run as 64-bit processes. Older versions of Comsol had a few minor problems with memory management that you may have run into. Upgrading to a newer version of Comsol may solve the problem. You are always welcome to send your model to support where someone can have a look at it in order to see if the problem is fixed in the latest version of Comsol. Since the model is large please remove the solution before sending the file. -- Lars Gregersen Comsol Denmark

Posted: 8 years ago 27 juin 2016, 12:11 UTC−4
Hi Lars,

Thanks for your reply. I will try the newer version of comsol to see whether this solves the problem.

Actually, I have initiated a case to the support, but they need the license information to fulfill the request, which I cannot provide since the comsol I used is administered by our Engineering School, not by myself.

Mengxue
Hi Lars, Thanks for your reply. I will try the newer version of comsol to see whether this solves the problem. Actually, I have initiated a case to the support, but they need the license information to fulfill the request, which I cannot provide since the comsol I used is administered by our Engineering School, not by myself. Mengxue

Posted: 8 years ago 28 juin 2016, 05:04 UTC−4

Hi Lars,

Thanks for your reply. I will try the newer version of comsol to see whether this solves the problem.

Actually, I have initiated a case to the support, but they need the license information to fulfill the request, which I cannot provide since the comsol I used is administered by our Engineering School, not by myself.

Mengxue

Hi Mengxue

I'm sure your administration can supply you with the necessary information you need to obtain proper support. Comsol does give support to academic customers!

--
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
[QUOTE] Hi Lars, Thanks for your reply. I will try the newer version of comsol to see whether this solves the problem. Actually, I have initiated a case to the support, but they need the license information to fulfill the request, which I cannot provide since the comsol I used is administered by our Engineering School, not by myself. Mengxue [/QUOTE] Hi Mengxue I'm sure your administration can supply you with the necessary information you need to obtain proper support. Comsol does give support to academic customers! -- Lars Gregersen Comsol Denmark

Posted: 8 years ago 29 juin 2016, 16:56 UTC−4
Hi Lars,

Thanks for your suggestion. I got a reply from the support team after fulfilling the license information, but they cannot give me any support since my version is 4.3a, not 5.2 or 5.2a.

Anyway, my problem is solved following your previous suggestion to use newer version of comsol. I'm now using comsol 5.1 (the latest one installed in our school's cluster). It should be some memory issue of the old version.

Thanks for your help!
Mengxue
Hi Lars, Thanks for your suggestion. I got a reply from the support team after fulfilling the license information, but they cannot give me any support since my version is 4.3a, not 5.2 or 5.2a. Anyway, my problem is solved following your previous suggestion to use newer version of comsol. I'm now using comsol 5.1 (the latest one installed in our school's cluster). It should be some memory issue of the old version. Thanks for your help! Mengxue

Posted: 8 years ago 30 juin 2016, 03:34 UTC−4
Hi Mengxue

I'm glad to hear that you now found a way to get official support. If your university is paying such that you can get support you might as well use it.

On the same note. If your university is paying for support it is also paying for the latest release of Comsol. Hence you might as well use it. All versions of Comsol brings significant new features and performance improvements that all users of Comsol can benefit from. The newly released version 5.2a includes lots of new features compared to 5.2 (even though the name change doesn't reveal it).

I know that many universities only install new releases of programs during the summer break. This will be a good opportunity to kindly ask the IT-department to install the new release! Also it is good to know that you can install new releases of Comsol without deleting any old versions.

Here is a list of the new features in Comsol 5.2a:
www.comsol.com/release/5.2a

Oh yes, one final note: if your problem with your model still exists with version 5.1 then send the model to support. If the file is very large then you can delete its solution to save space before sending the model.

--
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
Hi Mengxue I'm glad to hear that you now found a way to get official support. If your university is paying such that you can get support you might as well use it. On the same note. If your university is paying for support it is also paying for the latest release of Comsol. Hence you might as well use it. All versions of Comsol brings significant new features and performance improvements that all users of Comsol can benefit from. The newly released version 5.2a includes lots of new features compared to 5.2 (even though the name change doesn't reveal it). I know that many universities only install new releases of programs during the summer break. This will be a good opportunity to kindly ask the IT-department to install the new release! Also it is good to know that you can install new releases of Comsol without deleting any old versions. Here is a list of the new features in Comsol 5.2a: https://www.comsol.com/release/5.2a Oh yes, one final note: if your problem with your model still exists with version 5.1 then send the model to support. If the file is very large then you can delete its solution to save space before sending the model. -- Lars Gregersen Comsol Denmark

Posted: 8 years ago 1 juil. 2016, 11:27 UTC−4
Hi Lars,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. The IT staff in our school will install new version next week.

Mengxue
Hi Lars, Thanks for the detailed explanation. The IT staff in our school will install new version next week. Mengxue

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.