Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

1) How to tilt work plane 2) transitional boundary condition and surface current combined

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I have been working to create a 3D geometry and stuck in the problem of tilting the work plane.
As a way to create a one of orthogonal plane to work on, I chose quick in plane type and I wanted to tilt the plane to a certain degree.
as a goal, I want to create a sheet of aluminum plate attached to the cylinder with 10 degree tilted (such as 11 o'clock location). However, this only gives an option of rotation only. I appreciate any comments. for the detail information, picture describing the problem is attached.

The other concern I have with the magnetic field (mf) is I wanted to model the plate presented under the magnetic field and conducting wire - think of the situation where the sheet of copper plate is placed near by MRI (can be defined in the variable) and current carrying wire (edge current) is placed near by the plate that magnetic field produced by the current (mf.Bxyz) in the wire will induce surface current or current density in the plate (mf.Js1x, mf.Js2x and Jsx if Transitional Boundary Condition is used or Jsx if TBC is not used) and these induced currents will exert a force (face load in the shell model) to the plate that will move the plate(as a simple explanation).

overall flow I set up is
mf - applied edge current and transitional boundary to calculate mf.Bxyz and Js1x, Js2x, and Jsx

shell -applied face load (lorentz force) to the plate (Js1x,y,z + Js2x,y,z + Jsx,y,z) cross (mf.Bx,y,z +field produced by MRI in xyz directions)

mf2 - surface current was then applied based on the displacement of shell (u,v,w) using a equation J(surface current) = (d(displacement)/dt cross (mf.Bx,y,z +field produced by MRI in xyz directions))
note, displacement is the result of the TBC used surface current currents (Js1x,y,z + Js2x,y,z + Jsx,y,z)

shell2 - as a final output, face load of ((mf2.Jx,y,z) cross (mf2.Bx,y,z+ field produced by MRI in xyz directions)) was applied and displacement and the stress was calculated.

I wanted to simplify the calculation tree but above is the one that I came up without any error. I hope I can have comments on these 2 issues.

Thank you,
Junghwan Kim

0 Replies Last Post 9 juin 2016, 11:53 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Junghwan Kim

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.