Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

postprocessing : max/min

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi.

I have a question about postprocessing.
after analysis, I set the Von mises stress in the surface and max/min postprocessing menu.
so I can see the scale bar and max/min value
but it does not match the value : upper stress scale bar and max. value in the model.

I appreciate to explain why it does not match the value.
and which one is correct?

have a nice day.!

2 Replies Last Post 23 nov. 2010, 01:03 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 nov. 2010, 15:51 UTC−5
Hi

I would say all and none ;), in 4.1 at least the min max operators have different ways to be evaluated:

node points, integrated points, Lagrange points

The graphs seems to be of the type node points

Then the graphs have a quality property, if you set it to Smoothing "none" you will probably get closer to the min/max operators. Anyhow, when looking at stress, its important to check with no smoothing and norefinement for the resolution, you will then notice that often the oscillations observed are from the smoothing, ort that your meshing is rather too coarse to take good decisions !

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say all and none ;), in 4.1 at least the min max operators have different ways to be evaluated: node points, integrated points, Lagrange points The graphs seems to be of the type node points Then the graphs have a quality property, if you set it to Smoothing "none" you will probably get closer to the min/max operators. Anyhow, when looking at stress, its important to check with no smoothing and norefinement for the resolution, you will then notice that often the oscillations observed are from the smoothing, ort that your meshing is rather too coarse to take good decisions ! -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 nov. 2010, 01:03 UTC−5
thanks! Ivar!

Your answer is helpful.
thanks! Ivar! Your answer is helpful.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.