Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to move a permanent magnet in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to make a permanent magnet oscillate . In comsol,I can make one cylinder move in Solid Mechanics, but once I add mf physics to set the cylinder as a permanent magnet, I don't know how to make such a cylinder magnet move. Please someone could help me figure that out? Do i need to combine Matlab with Comsol.

2 Replies Last Post 29 mai 2016, 20:58 UTC−4

Posted: 8 years ago 26 mai 2016, 08:47 UTC−4
Unlike Solid Mechanics models, AC/DC models require that there is a medium (usually air) within which the magnetic/electric fields a re distributed. As such, when your magnet moves within an air domain, the mesh for your Air domain will also need to move.
So, to cut a potentially long story short, you need to use the moving mesh functionality in order to make your model work. You can add this physics by looking under the Mathematics node in the Add Physics screen.

I am sure there are a few samples of the moving mesh in use on the Comsol website to help get you started.

Of course, your model will need some time dependence so you can describe the motion of your magnet.

You can link the movement of the magnet to (for example) an energising coil using an equation of motion based on the electromagnetic force from the coil too. It all depends on what you are trying to simulate.

Good Luck!

Mark
Unlike Solid Mechanics models, AC/DC models require that there is a medium (usually air) within which the magnetic/electric fields a re distributed. As such, when your magnet moves within an air domain, the mesh for your Air domain will also need to move. So, to cut a potentially long story short, you need to use the moving mesh functionality in order to make your model work. You can add this physics by looking under the Mathematics node in the Add Physics screen. I am sure there are a few samples of the moving mesh in use on the Comsol website to help get you started. Of course, your model will need some time dependence so you can describe the motion of your magnet. You can link the movement of the magnet to (for example) an energising coil using an equation of motion based on the electromagnetic force from the coil too. It all depends on what you are trying to simulate. Good Luck! Mark

Posted: 8 years ago 29 mai 2016, 20:58 UTC−4
Thank you very much, I do find many samples about moving mesh. Now I am trying to figure that out
Thank you very much, I do find many samples about moving mesh. Now I am trying to figure that out

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.